Tuesday, April 26, 2011

It's all in the genes!

It's genetic! We always thought it was, but now we have medical proof! Back in 1999, my brothers and I participated in a research study with the U of U, they were trying to map the gene causing familial colon cancer. The last we heard from them back then was they would keep our blood and continue to test as new genetic testing became available, but that no news was good news. Fast forward to today - when my oncologists contacted them regarding my blood work they had no record of myself or my brothers! What? Yep, they lost us! It gets better (actually worse) - my dad is on file, and he DID test positive for the genetic mutation that causes colon cancer but was never informed! So with Dad having the gene, the boys and I each have a 50% chance of having it. If you do have the gene you need to have a colonoscopy every year and an upper GI done every 3 years. Not exactly the genetic trait anyone wants to inherit - I would have preferred my dad's thick, dark, wavy hair or his bright blue eyes, but nope - I get the gene mutation for colon cancer - that sucks!

What's next you may ask? Every blood relative to myself and my Dad must go in for a blood test to see if they have the mutation. All my brothers and cousins. All my dad's living siblings and his living aunts and cousins! So if you fall into that category, please contact us and we can get you in touch with the right people to have your DNA testing done!

5 comments:

Rebecca said...

Ughh! Doctors can be so frustrating. I know they are just human, but I still expect competence and so many times it just seems like they mess up on the simplest things. I keep praying for you and your family.

Kimberly said...

Cami! I can't believe all that you are going through!!!! Just reading about it amazes me at how strong you are...way to go. I'm gonna add you to my blog list so I can stay updated if that's ok :) And, um....maybe I should get that info from you regarding the DNA testing so I can have Mike get tested. Email me when you get a chance kimberlyskessler@hotmail.com

We have you in our prayers.

Amy Jacobs said...

Camie! First of all--I am LOVIN the new family pics!!! So adorable. And, I'm glad to see you are back on the blog doing some updates for all of us "stalkers" out here. You are inspiring me to "think about" doing it again myself one of these days. We continue to send lots of prayers and thoughts your way. We love you guys so much!

KK and Company said...

Alrighty then... I guess I need to be tested. Boo. Can you send me information on how to be tested? keenacharris@yahoo.com.

You rock. You are amazing. I love ya!

Mike D said...

Hi Cami,

Hope you are feeling okay. I'm so bummed about everything, but we're praying for you and appreciate your positive example in such a trying time. Love you and hope your beautiful family is doing well.

-Mike