Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Halloween - Bah, Humbug!


It's true, I am not a fan of Halloween.  Even when I was little it was my least favorite Holiday - I have always been afraid of the dark (still am), so a holiday all about dark and scary was really not my idea of fun! Combine that with being shy and having to go up to someone's door and ask for candy - I was terrified! I remember being 5 or 6 and I refused to go to Primary teachers house to trick or treat because they had scary music playing!  My poor mom tried her best to convince me that it was fine but I stubbornly stayed on the other side of the street - hugging/hiding behind the neighbors tree while she and my brothers went to my primary teachers house!  And then there was the pumpkin carving - a harmless rite of passage for any little kid, right?! Wrong! Especially when that little girl is a neat freak and can't stand not only the pumpkin guts, but the over all mess of the whole ordeal!  Combine that with the fact that I have 4 brothers who would torture me by touch me with the ooey, gooey, gunk from out of the pumpkin, or practice their knife skills when mom was out of the room!  Yep, I've got issues with Halloween!

So now that I am a mom with kids of my own, what do I do?  I try my best to suck it up and let the kids have fun!  I've even done my share of gutting the pumpkins!  I don't get into the all out Halloween decorations, but I do decorate for fall, so that counts - right?  So while my kids are having a ball running around in the dark, begging for candy, dressed like a gypsie, go-go dancer, Anakin Skywalker and a power ranger I will be the proud momma following behind them - with a death grip on the flashlight!

Sydney & Mya with a few of our pumpkins! We got some at the pumpkin patch and then Grandpa had enough for all the grandkids this year!  Two pumpkins each, aren't we lucky?!

Look! My hand is inside a pumpkin!  Gross!

Our creations (from top to bottom) 
Syd - black widow
Mya - flower
Cam - Scarecrow
Ty - the original pumpkin face!





4 comments:

Becca said...

I feel even more special getting to see you in the mornings now that I know you are scared of the dark.

Missy said...

Haha! You are so funny Cami! The pumpkins turned out cute!

Kristen said...

Way to be the brave mom for you kids. Your pumpkins turned out cute.

Debbie said...

I'm with you on the whole Halloween thing. It's like we've handed out tickets to be creepy, spooky and down right freaky...hey, at least it's only once a year!